“On the Move Again” is Chapter 17 from the Let’s Look Around and Learn Environmental Studies Textbook for students of Class 5th of JKBOSE and NCERT. This post is about On the Move Again Class 5 Question Answers. In the last post, you read about Like Father Like Daughter Class 5 Chapter Notes. Let’s not waste time and get started:
On the Move Again Class 5 Question Answers
The chapter “On the Move Again” is a description of Dhanu’s village, the culture of the village and the way how people work on the lands of other people and farmers. The people from Dhanu’s village including her parents stay away from their homes to work in sugarcane fields.
Tell Page No. 153
- Did all the farmers in Dhanu’s village have their land?
Ans. No, all the farmers in Dhanu’s village don’t have their own land. The farmers who don’t have their own land work on the lands of big farmers.
- During what time of the year did Dhanu’s family get work in the village? During what time did they not have work?
Ans. Dhanu’s family gets work in the village till Dussehra, before the rainy season. They do not get work during the remaining six months when there is no rain and no work in the fields.
- Do you know of any families like Dhanu’s who have to leave their villages for months in search of work?
Ans. No, I don’t know any such family who has to leave their village for months in search of work.
Think and Find Out Page No. 153
- If people in Dhanu’s village did not leave the village in search of work, what difficulties would they face in their own village?
Ans. If people in Dhanu’s village did not leave the village in search of work, they will face a lot of difficulties like they will not being able to earn enough money to meet the basic needs of their families, buy food or household items for their families. They will not be able to pay the school fee for their children.
- In Dhanu’s village, there can be no farming when there is no rain. Do you think farming can be done even without rainwater? How?
Ans. Yes, farming can also be done even without rainwater. The methods of irrigation like canals, tube-wells, tanks and borewells can be used to provide the required water for irrigating the crops in the fields.
Think Page No. 154
- Dhanu’s family and many others from the village go far away for work but some people stay back in the village. Why does this happen?
Ans. When Dhanu’s family and many others from the village go far away for work but some people stay back in the village to take care of the elderly people and protect the houses, households and cattle.
- When Dhanu and other children leave the village for six months, what happens in the village school?
Ans. When Dhanu and other children leave the village for six months, the village school will have students from the families of big farmers only.
- What arrangements are made at your home for old and unwell family members when everyone goes to work?
Ans. When everyone goes to work at our home, the female members usually remain at home to take care of the old and ill family members. If no family member stayed back a maidservant is appointed for this purpose.
Think and Tell Page No. 155
- Why does Mami wish that Dhanu should go to school for the whole year and study?
Ans. Mami wished Dhanu should go to school for the whole year and study well so that he can get a good job and work independently. A job will earn him handsome money and he will become a rich and reputed person in society.
- What happens when you are not able to go to school for a long time?
Ans. When I am not able to attend school for a long time, I will the lessons and important concepts taught during my absence from school. Also, the school may take disciplinary action against me.
Discuss and Write Page No. 156
- Dhanu has to go with village people to other places. Can there be some arrangements during that time so that Dhanu continues his studies? What kind?
Ans. Yes, when Dhanu has to go with his village people to other places some arrangements are there like he can go to any nearby school to continue his study. If there are many such children, then small classes can be conducted under the trees. He can even join evening schools to continue his studies.
- Do you know of any jobs/work for which people have to stay away from their families for many months? Look for examples from this book and write.
Ans. Some of the jobs which require people to stay away from their families for many months are as follows:
(a) People working in the armed forces.
(b) People who are in the merchant navy.
(c) Children studying in a boarding school
(d) People engaged in business.
- What are the similarities and differences in the lives of different kinds of farmers?
Ans. There are many similarities and differences in the lives of different kinds of farmers. These are:
|(1) The farmers depend on their farms to earn their livelihood.||(1) Some farmers have their own land but some farmers have to work on the land of other farmers.|
|(2) In the majority of cases, farmers depend on rainfall for farming.||(2) Some farmers work in fields in the rainy season while some farmers get hit by drought conditions.|
|(3) Majority of the farmers borrow a loan to buy seeds, fertilizers and good machines for their farms.||(3) Some farmers sow different varieties of seeds depending upon the climatic condition of their places.|
|(4) Majority of the farmers are less educated.||(4) Some of the farmers are educated.|
|(5) Most of them use old and primitive ways of farming.||(5) Some farmers use new and modern methods of farming.|
What We Have Learnt Page No. 156
- You have read about many kinds of farmers in different lessons in this book. Fill in the table.
|Name of the farmer||Owns Land||What do they grow||What difficulties do they have||Anything else|
|1. Damjibhai||Yes||Foodgrains like wheat, jowar, bajra, rice etc.||Not much||He could easily get food for his family.|
|2. Hasmukh||Yes||Items which earn him profit in the market like cotton and wheat||The huge cost of fertilizers, seeds and insecticides. Loss of soil fertility. Bank loans are unpaid due to less income.||Hasmukh’s son left farming and started a job as a truck driver to support his family and pay back the bank loan.|
That’s all we have about On the Move Again Class 5 Question Answers. Hope you get your answers. Do share your views about this post in the comment section.
Leave a Reply