The chapter “Safe Drinking Water” is included in the Let’s Look Around and Learn Class IV Environmental Studies Textbook for students of Class IV of JKBOSE. This particular post is about Safe Drinking Water Class 4 Question Answers. In my last post in Class 4 EVS, you read about Question Answers of Changing Families. Let’s get started:
Safe Drinking Water Class 4 Question Answers
The chapter is included in the curriculum to aware budding kids about the importance of water, sources of water, how water becomes dirty and how can we purify the dirty water. All these things are discussed in this chapter.
Safe Drinking Water Question Answers
Questions Page No. 47
1. What is the important substance on earth?
Ans. Water is the most common substance on the earth. It is a very important substance because, without water, life would be impossible.
2. From where do we get water?
Ans. We get water from various sources lakes, tanks, wells, rivers and rainwater.
3. Give the uses of water.
Ans. Uses of Water
1. Water helps the plants for their growth.
2. Human beings use water for drinking, washing clothes, cooking food and bathing purposes.
Think and Answer Page No. 55
I. Fill in the blanks. Choose the right word from the box:
purified, boiled, stagnant, precious, pure
- Mosquitoes breed in ___________ water.
- Contaminated water should be ___________ before drinking.
- Water which is free from germs and impurities is called ___________ water.
- Water is very ___________ We should not waste it.
- During the monsoon water should be ___________ to kill germs.
- Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water.
- Contaminated water should be purified before drinking.
- Water which is free from germs and impurities is called pure water.
- Water is very precious we should not waste it.
- During the monsoon, water should be boiled to kill germs.
II. State whether the following statements are True or False:
- It is good for health to drink water from a river or a pond directly.
- To make the water free from germs, it should be filtered by using a clean piece of cloth.
- Use of unsafe water can cause diseases.
- The filtered water which will look clear may contain germs.
- Bleaching powder kills the germs in the water.
III. Answer the following:
1. How is water useful to us?
Ans. Water is useful to us in the following ways:
1. It is used by us for washing, drinking, cooking and bathing.
2. We also use water for irrigating our fields.
3. Water is important for the growth of plants.
4. It is used in the manufacturing of paper and so many other products.
2. What are the sources of water? Name any three.
Ans. The sources from which we get water for our daily use are called sources of water. These are the main sources of water. 1. Lakes 2. Tanks 3. Wells 4. Rivers
3. How does the water in ponds become impure?
Ans. Water in ponds becomes impure due to following ways:
(i) People bathe and wash their cattle, clothes and utensils in pond water.
(ii) Sick people take baths and wash their clothes in pond water which adds germs to the water.
(iii) Some people urinate and defecate near the pond.
(iv) Drainage water and chemicals from factories into pond water make it impure.
4. How does pure water become impure?
Ans. Pure water becomes impure when solid, liquid or gaseous impurities got dissolved in it. Pure water also becomes impure when germs or disease-causing harmful microbes mix with it.
5. How is stagnant water harmful to us?
Ans. Stagnant water is harmful to us because it becomes a breeding place for mosquitoes and spread, many diseases like malaria, chikungunya, dengue etc.
6. Name two substances which are mixed with water in order to kill germs.
Ans. Bleaching powder and Potassium permanganate are the two substances that are mixed with water in order to kill germs.
7. Why should we not drink contaminated water?
Ans. We should not drink contaminated water because it carries disease-causing substances which are harmful to us and may cause various diseases in us.
8. What precautions will you take to see that drinking water kept in public places is not contaminated?
Ans. (i) Water kept in public places should be passed through a filter and purifier.
(ii) Potassium permanganate and chlorine tablets should be added to it to kill the harmful germs and bacteria present in the water.
(iii) The storage water tank should be cleaned periodically.
(iv) The glass vessel should be washed in a Potassium permanganate solution.
9. How is water contaminated?
Ans. If dirty fingers or dirty utensils are dipped in pure water then it gets contaminated with harmful substances or harmful germs. Pure water also becomes impure when solid, liquid or gaseous impurities got dissolved in it.
IV. Answer, Why?
- Sometimes, even filtered water is not safe for drinking.
Ans. Filtered water although does not contain insoluble impurities and looks clean yet it may contain harmful germs and bacteria and dissolved impurities in it. So, even filtered water is not safe for drinking.
- We should not dip our hands in a pond.
Ans. We should not dip our hands in a pond because the dirt or germs sticking to our hands may get mixed in the water thus making pond water contaminated and making it unfit for drinking.
- During the monsoon, we should drink boiled water.
Ans. During the monsoon, water is generally contaminated with harmful germs. So, water is boiled to kill germs so that boiled water becomes safe for drinking. Therefore, we should drink boiled water before drinking during monsoon.
- Why Potassium permanganate is added to the well water?
Ans. People use utensils to take out water from the well which may carry germs or bacteria along with it. This contaminates the well water. In order to make stagnant well water free from germs/bacteria, Potassium permanganate is added to it.
- Seawater is not considered a source of water.
Ans. Seawater is not considered a source of water because it is the most impure form of water. It receives all the impurities present in river water. Dissolved salts give seawater a salty taste and make it unfit for drinking.
V. In each of the following there are four choices. Select the most suitable answer:
- The safer source of drinking water is:
(B). Tube well
Ans. (B) Tube well
- The germs present in water can be killed by:
Ans. (B) Boiling
- Bleaching powder is used in the water to:
(A) Separate dissolved materials.
(B) Kill disease-causing germs.
(C) Make its taste better.
(D) Remove impurities.
Ans. (B) Kill disease-causing germs.
- The drinking water in the vessel should be changed after:
(A) 1 day
(B) 2 days
(C) 5 days
(D) 7 days.
Ans. (A) 1 day
That’s all we have about Safe Drinking Water Class 4 Question Answers. Hope you found it useful. Do share your views in the comment section.
Leave a Reply