The chapter “Who Will Do This Work” is Chapter 16 from Looking Around EVS for students of NCERT board and Chapter 18 from Let’s Look Around and Learn EVS for students of JKBOSE. This particular post is about Who Will Do This Work Class 5 EVS Question Answer for students of both the boards as exercises are the same. In a previous post, you read about On the Move Again Chapter Notes. Let’s get started:
Who Will Do This Work Class 5 EVS Question Answer
The chapter briefs the students on different works done by the people. There are so many jobs but the job of cleaning up the most trash and garbage that is lying around is one of the toughest jobs. It is done by the poorest and illiterate or less educated people in society. We must think about the situation if they and other municipality machinery stop functioning what will happen then. We need to reduce the production of waste in our homes and working places.
Page No. 157
- Have you seen such Scenes Around you?
Ans. Yes, I have seen such scenes around me so many times.
- Have you ever thought of people who do this work? Can you imagine how they would feel?
Ans. Doing such a type of work is an extremely tough and dirty job. They would feel their job hard and laborious due to the filth and terrible smell of such places.
- Why do you think people need to do this kind of work?
Ans. Most of the people engaged in such types of work are due to poverty while some people also do such types of work to keep the surroundings clean.
Write Page No. 158 – 159
- Talk with people who do the cleaning job around your house and school.
Ans. Students should talk to cleaners, maids and safai karmcharis about these questions and they will get such type of answers from them.
- Since when have they been doing this work?
Ans. They have been doing this work for 10- 12 years.
- How much have they studied?
Ans. The majority of them are illiterate and have not studied beyond class 5.
- Have they tried to look for some other work?
Ans. The majority of them except a few have never tried to look for some other work.
- Did the elders in their family also do this work?
Ans. Yes, the elders in their family also did the same work.
- What kind of difficulties do they face in doing this work?
Ans. They had to face several difficulties in doing such kind of work. They had to work without their interest and have to bear the foul smell of the garbage. They are often looked down upon by other people in society because they consider their work dirty.
- What are the different kinds of work being done in this drawing? List any five of these.
Ans. There are so many kinds of works being done in the picture. Five of them shown in the drawing are as follows:
- Milking a cow
- Working in the garden
- Selling of vegetables
- Sweeping the road
- The doctor is attending to the patient.
- If you were asked to do any five jobs shown in this picture, which would you choose?
Ans. I would like to do the following jobs from the picture.
(a) Teaching the students.
(b) Attending the patients as a doctor.
(c) To be a scientist.
(d) To be a shopkeeper.
(e) To be a computer expert.
- Which five jobs would you not choose? Why?
Ans. The five jobs which I would not choose are:
- Fruit/vegetable hawker
I want to do a good-paying job so that I and my parents can be proud of it. I want to lead a respectful job and earn a handsome amount to manage the expenses of me and my family.
Discuss Page No. 160
- What kinds of work or jobs do people not want to do? Why?
Ans. People do not like to do less challenging, less respected and less paying jobs. The jobs like sweeper, gatekeeper, painter and cleaning do not need much mental ability and also are not much respected in society.
- So, who does this kind of work? Why do people do this kind of work that others do not want to do?
Ans. The poorest people do such kind of work. They do such kind of work because they are poor as well as uneducated and due to this reason, they won’t get other work. They do such works out of compulsion to earn their livelihood.
Imagine Page No. 160
- What would happen if nobody did this work? If nobody cleared the garbage lying outside your school or your house for one week, then what would happen?
Ans. If nobody would do this work, heaps of garbage will get accumulated outside our school and our house. It will create a lot of problems. It will produce a bad smell due to the process of rotting. It could create epidemics also. The place, full of garbage, will look very ugly.
Tell Page No. 161 – 162
- Why did Gandhiji and his team start doing the job of cleaning? What do you think about this?
Ans. Gandhiji and his team start doing the job of cleaning because he wanted to make people understand that they should respect every job equally and everybody should do their work himself. The job of cleaning is not a job of a particular caste or community. By this method, Gandhiji wanted to remove the practice of untouchability from society.
- Do you know any such people in your area who try to help others in solving— their problems? Find out.
Ans. Yes, some people in our area always try to help others in solving their problems. They have made an association which works for the welfare of people and solving their problems.
- Guests at Gandhiji’s Ashram had to learn this work also. If you were one of these guests, what would you do?
Ans. If I were one of these guests in Gandhiji’s Ashram I would have also learnt this work and would have done it.
- What are the toilet arrangements in your house? Where is the toilet? Inside the house or outside? Who cleans the toilet?
Ans. There are two toilets in my house. One is inside the house while the other one is outside the house. These are modern-style toilets with a flush attached to them. Every member of my family cleans the toilet.
- How did the man who was returning from the toilet behave with Mahadevbhai? Why did he behave like this?
Ans. The man returning from the toilet behaved to Mahadevbhai in an insulting way. He did so because he had a feeling that cleaning the toilet is a dirty job and people who do this are untouchables.
- How do people generally behave with those people who clean toilets and drains? Write.
Ans. Generally, people behave impolitely with those who clean toilets and drains. It is because they consider them untouchable. People avoid talking to those who clean toilets and drains. They don’t want them to enter their kitchen except for toilets because they consider them and their job dirty.
- Narayan and Gandhiji discussed all these many years ago. Have things changed now?
Ans. Yes, things have changed a lot now. Untouchability is declared as a punishable offence by law now and has almost vanished. Especially in urban areas, people tend to talk to those who do so hailed ‘dirty jobs. People are well aware of such things now and the government also have reserved many seats for such peoples in jobs and educational institutions.
Tell Page No. 163
- Who does the cleaning in your school? What all has to be cleaned?
Ans. There are 3 – 4 sweepers who do the cleaning job of the school. They had to clean classrooms, ground, toilets, bathrooms and the office of the school.
- Do all children as you help in this? If yes, how? If all do not help, why not?
Ans. Yes, the majority of the children help with cleaning work. The students mostly help in cleaning their classroom by collecting and throwing the waste papers and other waste material in the dustbin. Some children who belong to rich families do not help. They think that the job of a cleaner is dirty. They don’t like to do the job of cleaning as they consider it an insult.
- Do all children do all kinds of work?
Ans. No, all children do not do all kinds of work. Those children who consider any work insulting or of low status to them can’t do it or laboriously perform the work.
- Do they sometimes have to miss classes to do this work?
Ans. The work of cleaning is done either in the morning or in the evening and it takes 10-15 minutes only. So, the students did not need to miss the classes for the cleaning work.
- Do the girls and the boys do the same kinds of work?
Ans. Yes, both the boys and girls do the same kind of work.
- What all work do you do at home?
Ans. I would help my mother with her household chores. I clean my room and toilet daily. I would arrange all my books and copies properly and not allow them to spread.
- Is the work done by boys and girls, men and women the same?
Ans. No, the work done by boys and girls, men and women are not the same. The girls and women mainly do the household jobs like cooking, sewing, washing and ironing clothes. There are certain tasks which are supposed to be done by men only like repairing a fault in electricity, repairing the car, moving heavy items, etc.
- Would you like to bring some changes? What kind?
Ans. Yes, I would like to change the mentality of the majority of the people regarding the jobs and work done by boys and girls in society. The girls and women should also be allowed to study so that they can get good jobs and become self-dependent. Moreover, the boys and men should also participate in some household work and help the women.
Discuss Page No. 163
- Do people look at different kinds of work in the same way? If not. why is this so? Why is it important to bring change?
Ans. No, people don’t look at different kinds of jobs in the same manner. The jobs like cleaning and sweeping the road, gutters etc. are considered jobs of low respect and status. It is the mindset of the people that they considered such jobs inferior. It is important to change the mentality of the people and make them understand the importance of the job of cleaning also equal opportunity must be provided for everyone for studying so that anyone can get a good job.
What We Have Learnt Page No. 163
- Gandhiji used to say that every person should do every kind of work. What do you feel about this? If everyone followed this, what are the things that would change? What are some changes that will happen in your own house?
Ans. I think Gandhiji was right in saying that every person should do every kind of work then no work will be regarded as disrespectful. One can understand the importance of the work by doing it and can also understand all the effort required for that work. If everyone followed this, then people will start showing more respect to others. We will understand that everyone is important to society. In my house, I think everyone will start gaining the same amount of self-respect.
That’s all we have about Who Will Do This Work Class 5 EVS Question Answer. Hope it has helped. Do share your views about this post in the comment section below.