The chapter “Up You Go” is Chapter 9 from Let’s Look Around and Learn Class 5 Environmental Studies for students of JKBOSE. In the last post, you have already read about the Summary Notes of Chapter 8 Rocks and Minerals. This particular post is about Up You Go Class 5 JKBOSE Question Answers. Let’s get started with this post:
Up You Go Class 5 JKBOSE Question Answers
The chapter is a description of a mountaineering camp. It tells the young kids about the techniques used in climbing the mountains and rocks. The chapter also gives a brief account of Bachhendri Pal, the first Indian woman to Mount Everest and creates history.
Up You Go Class 5 Question Answers
Tell Page No 80.
- Have you ever seen the mountains? Have you also climbed a mountain?
Ans. Yes, I have seen mountains in Kashmir and have also climbed a mountain.
- How far have you walked at one time? How far can you walk?
Ans. I have walked about 5-6 kilometres at one time and I think I can walk as far as 15 kilometres at a time.
Imagine Page No 80
- What do you think about the paths in the mountains? Draw a picture.
Tell Page No 81
- What do you think about the responsibilities of a group leader?
Ans. The responsibilities of a group leader can include many aspects. Some of them can be as follows:
(а) Looking after each member of the group.
(b) Taking care of all the needs of the group.
(c) Leading by example.
(d) Helping other members of the group.
- How would you feel if you were made a leader in such a camp?
Ans. If I were made a leader in such a camp it would make me feel more confident about myself and it would boost my confidence that I was trusted for the job. I would take up the responsibility.
- What does a monitor in your class have to do?
Ans. The responsibilities of a class monitor are as follows:
(а) Maintaining discipline in the class; in the absence of the teacher.
(b) Arranging necessary items like chalk, duster, dustbin, etc.
(c) The monitor has to put up the problems of students to the teacher.
- Would you like to be the class monitor? Why?
Ans. Yes, I would like to be the class monitor. It will be a challenging experience to lead my class but I would like to be the monitor because:
(a) Self-confidence is developed in the monitor.
(b) A sense of responsibility develops in students after becoming a monitor.
(c) Leadership qualities develop in the monitor.
Find out and write Page No 83
1. What kinds of tools are needed for climbing mountains?
Ans. The tools needed to climb up the mountain are crampons, thick rope, belay device, harness, ice axe, protection guard, sling, stick, pulley, helmet, gloves, first aid kit, oxygen cylinder, food packets, water bottle, torch, hook, plastic sheet, diary, towel, soap, etc.
2. Have you ever seen a hook and rope being used for anything else? Where?
Ans. Yes, I have seen the hook and rope being used for drawing water from the well, to pull heavy things up the building
3. What else can we use if we want to cross a river in the mountains?
Ans. To cross a river in the mountains we require thick rope, sling and pitons.
4. Why do we need extra energy in the mountains?
Ans. We need extra energy especially in the mountains because we climb against the gravitational force which usually pulls us down and so we have to put extra effort to climb on the mountains and we feel tired very quickly to balance all these we need that extra energy.
5. Have you ever heard of anyone who has done something adventurous? What?
Ans. Yes, a mechanical engineer named Nirmal Kumar from my nearby village has scaled Mount Everest and many other peaks.
6. Have you ever done anything adventurous? If yes, tell your class. Write about it in your own words
Ans. Every student has to write this answer himself.
Tell Page No. 84
- Have you ever climbed a tree? How did you feel? Were you scared? Did you ever fall?
Ans. Yes, I climbed a guava tree during my vacations in a village. It was adventurous. I felt pleasure climbing a tree. I have fallen 2-3 times from a tree.
- Have you ever seen someone climb a small wall? What do you think is the difference between climbing a wall and climbing a high rock?
Ans. Yes, I have seen small children climbing the small wall. There is a difference between climbing a small wall and climbing a high rock because climbing a small rock does not require rope or any accessories, but to climb a high rock we require rope, sling, pitons etc. Climbing a small wall is easy while climbing a high rock is difficult.
Tell Page No. 85
- Is there anyone in your class whose language you do not understand, or who does not understand yours? What do you do in such a case?
Ans. Yes, I have a friend of mine in the class who does not understand my regional language neither I, understand her regional language. We communicate with each other in the common language which we both know and the children who don’t know the common language use sign language to communicate with him.
- Have you ever lost your way? What did you do then?
Ans. Yes, I have lost my way several times while visiting new places. In that case, I seek the help of local people in finding out my way.
- Why do you think Khondonbi would have sung loudly?
Ans. Khondonbi would have sung loudly so that the group could listen and find them again easily because she had lost her way. She may also be doing so to get over her fear.
- Have you ever seen someone doing something special to get over their fear? What and when?
Ans. Yes, once riding on a high-rise swing, we were shouting and yelling to get over our fear and also to enjoy ourselves. Some children closed their eyes to get over the fear.
Discuss Page No. 87
- Why do you think a drain was dug around the tent?
Ans. The drain is dug around the tent to keep off the insects, scorpions and snakes etc. The rainwater may not enter the tent because of this drain.
- Besides mountaineering, what are other activities that can be called adventurous? Why?
Ans. Besides mountaineering tracking, paragliding, hiking, rock climbing, bungee jumping, canyoneering etc. can be called adventurous because it needs great courage for these adventures.
Imagine and write Page No. 87
- You are on a mountain. How do you feel there? What can you see? What do you feel like doing there?
Ans. I feel thrilled and excited about being at the top of a mountain. I can see high mountains all around me. I feel like I am at the top of the world.
Think Page No. 88
- Why did Bachhendri put up the Indian flag on the peak?
Ans. Bachhendri Pal put up the Indian flag on the peak to honour our country.
- When have you seen our national flag being hoisted?
Ans. The national flags are hoisted during Independence Day and Republic Day celebrations.
- Have you seen the flag of any other country? Where?
Ans. Yes, I have seen the flags of many other countries. I have seen them on TV during international games like the Olympic games and on the internet.
What Have you Learnt Page No. 88
- Explain why it can be adventurous and challenging to climb a mountain. How would you prepare if you were to climb a mountain? What would you take with you? Write in your own words.
Ans. Climbing a mountain offers many challenges like rough terrain, high altitude, and less oxygen in the air which make it a difficult task to climb the mountain. Due to the difficulties involved, climbing a mountain is adventurous and challenging. I will do a lot of practice before the actual climb. I will food packets, water bottle, rope, hunter shoes, hook plastic sheet, diary, torch, towel, soap, windcheater, whistle, glucose, jaggery, chana, snakes etc. Besides I would also can a camera to catch the beautiful pictures.
That’s all we have about Up You Go Class 5 JKBOSE Question Answers. Hope it has helped. Do share your views about this post in the comment section below.